In Hong Kong, for women who are 11-14 weeks pregnant, there are multiple screening procedures to diagnose if the baby has Down’s Syndrome. Some well-designed tests have been beneficial for many professionals, such as the Hong Kong Down’s Syndrome Test.
Advantages of the Down’s Syndrome Test
The following are the advantages of the Hong Kong Down’s Syndrome Test:
- The detection rate is high
- The ultrasound examination is not harmful to the baby
- This test is suitable for women of all ages
- This test can be carried out in the early stages of pregnancy. This will give the woman enough time to decide, should the test results be positive. There is also plenty of time to consider management options.
- If a woman wishes to abort her baby, it will be far less risky if she is in the early stages of pregnancy.
Non-Invasive Prenatal Test (NIPT)
NIPT is a non-invasive DNA test carried out to diagnose any chromosomal abnormalities that may be present in the fetus. This test was developed at a Hong Kong University.
Some of the unborn child’s DNA is released into the mother’s blood. NIPT measures this DNA and the chromosomes to see if the child has Down’s Syndrome or any other abnormalities.
The procedure of the Hong Kong NIPT service
To carry out the Hong Kong NIPT service, the following steps are carried out:
- Conducting an ultrasound examination to measure the size and age of the fetus.
- Taking the pregnant women’s blood for analysis.
A woman’s eligibility for any of the Hong Kong Down’s Syndrome Tests is determined if she meets certain criteria. Thus, it is best to consult a doctor or a medical practitioner before taking any test.